Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Should you buy an Expensive Professional Blow Dryer?

Today was an important hair day in my life. I made the decision to experience what life is like with an expensive hair blow dryer. (and it's not even remotely close to the most expensive I have seen out there). Let me be super clear about one thing. I know there are SO MANY brands out there. This blog talks about my experiences and my favorites. BABYLISS is my favorite all time brand)

I went to several websites with blow dryers ranging in the price range from $120-$279. I've already learned the hard way with having to pay to ship BACK to the company so I decided an in person experience would be best.  I even checked out the place where I recently just bought my titanium flat iron. (still waiting for it's arrival)

I went to Walmart for a new blow dryer. 
$14.99-$29.99 seemed to be the price range and I also needed a new curling iron. About the same price range for those too. I was looking for two or three key words. ION and KERATIN or TITANIUM.
ION was the only word that existed in Walmart (this was not a shocking revolation but had to try since it's got thrift store prices sometimes)
I Left empty handed.

Then I headed over to Sally's Beauty Supply.
Nice selection that isn't overwhelming to look at compared to internet websites.
KERATIN, TITANIUM, and ION are all words you see right on these boxes. Price range for Blow dryers $29.99-$99.99. But the bonus is their sales.

I found a gem! At least I think I did with the assistant of the very nice girl who answered all of my annoying questions I brought one home! Double Bonus: Buy the "One 'n Only" brand blow dryer- get a curling iron FREE! (honestly the reason I was all in for this purchase.

Questions Like: 
  • KERATIN? In a blow dryer? How? I don't get it? I thought that it was a treatment? Her: Well before the plates dry they infuse them with keratin....uh....I don't think either of us "get it" we just take the manufacturers word for it.
  • Do you think this blow dryer or this one is better? WHY? She liked the one I bought because of the mega blowing power
  • Which one do you have? She had one I wasn't considering
  • Can I bring this back if it doesn't work on my sucky hair? (yes of course)

I bought this blow dryer: One 'n Only Brazilian Tech- Keratin Dryer 
(there is a really nice little info video on this blow dryer too)
Price Point: $79.99 - $71.99 with the Sally's Card (that's $5 for the whole year to receive discounts) I have the card. So I paid $71.99 for it.





and the bonus: 
I got the curling iron for free that matches!!  (could have got the 1", but I like bigger curls)

Brazilian Tech Keratin Kurl Curling Iron 1 1/4"

Price Point: $34.99 ($29.99 with the Sally's Card) but FREE for me today with said Blow Dryer purchase while the sale lasts



Okay, Squeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! Now, can you feel my excitement? Mind you it's 2:00 in the AFTERNOON. So what's a girl to do? RUN HOME AND SHOWER!!!! Absolutely.

at this point  I'm also nervous! $80.00 on a blow dryer is SO OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE. 


Alright so: The results. And I really wish you could see the time stamp on my pics. I started blow drying at exactly 2:31 PM  <----remember this. 

Wet, ew face. no makeup 2:31



By 2:38 my head was completely dry. I used the dryer on HIGH and HOT

FRIZZ  BALL McGee
Let's also keep in mind that I'm using my back up flat iron: The KQC X-Heat Tourmaline Ceramic 
from the Flat Iron Experts website. I really do like this flat iron.

My hair was pretty straight and done by 2:59!!!! That is LESS THAN 30 MINUTES from Soaking wet to dry, straightened, and curled.

 2:31 start 2:59 end!!!


The curling iron impressed me the most. It made my hair feel smooth and took almost ALL the frizz out.  (this brand also makes a flat iron...just throwing that out there for the peeps who can't afford the Mega dollar ones). I thought the blow dryer would have a more straightening effect on my locks, but it was considerably straighter than my old cheap Walmart blow dryer. Super frizzy but dry in less than 10 minutes and I have A TON of hair peeps.

Most importantly: Am I returning these two products?  NOT A CHANCE

Want to know the best part: When I took the products out of the boxes... the bottom of the box had this written on it

 One 'n Only is MADE BY BABYLISS!!!
 Win and Win. 
Check out Sally's Today and save a few bucks! 

So to answer my post title: SHOULD YOU BUY AN EXPENSIVE BLOW DRYER? If you have hair like I do, most definitely YES! If you have super thick, frizzy hair. These products will help you!


To further help you:  Here is a side by side comparison of my old blow dryer that I bought for $20 at Walmart versus The New Beauty that was $79.99. The old hair dryer took about 15-20 minutes to completely dry my head. (it's a red Conair ion shine)
See, I'm not kidding about my nassssty frizz head!



1 comments:

  1. Wow, you really can see a difference between the two hair dryers! I also chose to upgrade my cheap hair dryer for a more expensive, professional one and the results were amazing, faster dryer time, less frizz and less damage. Its the Karmin Salon Pro Hair Dryer, I paid about $150 for it but totally worth it (also comes with a 3 year warranty, cant beat that!)

    ReplyDelete